The 2020 Steinway Virtual Piano Competition, is here and it is a ONCE in a lifetime opportunity. Although our struggle with COVID-19 may continue we are so glad to see amazing companies like Steinway & Sons who remain committed to the pursuit of superior artistic expression through piano performance.
Whether you previously participated or are brand new to piano competition altogether this unique opportunity is a the perfect avenue! Open to pianists ages 17 and under who are residents in the United States and Canada, we hope everyone will see this as an extension of our unwavering commitment to excellence in piano education and performance even during these unprecedented times.
- October 1, 2020 – Registration opens. (A NON-REFUNDABLE $35 USD registration fee will be required.)
- November 1 – Registration closes.
- November 15 – Winners announced.
All participants will receive a certificate of participation and constructive feedback from world-renowned Steinway Artists. Additionally, First, Second, and Third place winners will receive a commemorative medal, national recognition on steinway.com, and the opportunity to be featured on Steinway’s global social media (videos selected at the discretion of the Steinway Marketing Team).
First Place Prizes:
- Division I – $400
- Division II – $600
- Division III – $800
- Division IV – $1000
- Students are required to perform two contrasting pieces for solo piano from different eras of Western classical music including Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and Twentieth Century.
- Students will be required to upload a video(s) performing both audition pieces on a piano (electric/digital or acoustic) through their application in Acceptd. The video must be filmed with both the pianist’s face and hands in the frame at all times. Video recordings may be paused between each repertoire selection or applicants may submit two separate videos for each piece. Each work on the video must be a continuous and unedited performance. Videos must not be filmed more than six months prior to submission. Any recording over the allotted time will not be penalized, but will not be judged.
- If you are interested in video recording your performance on the Steinway Model D 9’ Concert Grand at Turner’s Keyboards, please contact Eric Campbell at the store to schedule a time. We are happy to provide this opportunity to perform on the Steinway at no charge, but each student is required to handle the technical side of recording (equipment, setup, recording, submitting the video when complete, etc.). Please call to schedule an appointment date/time to record your audition.
- Each will be allotted the following amount of time for the performance of both pieces (age requirements apply to applicant’s age as of October 1, 2020):
- Division I: Ages 9 and under max. 8 minutes
- Division II: Ages 10-12 max. 10 minutes
- Division III: Ages 13-15 max. 12 minutes
- Division IV: Ages 16-17 max. 14 minutes
- Original compositions and improvisations are not permitted. Repeats may be played at the discretion of the performer, but are not required. Students may perform with or without sheet music. Performing from memory is encouraged, but not required.
- Contestants should wear their best performance attire.
- All applicants should upload copies of their sheet music with minimal markings for the judges in the application.